The Community Council of Devon is a champion for its people and environment - helping
communities help themselves.
We are committed to providing a quality service in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace
for our clients and employees, which minimises our potential impact on the environment. We will
operate in compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and we will strive to include pollution
prevention and the highest environmental best practices in all we do.
Our Key Social Objectives are to ensure communities:
• have increased capability, skills and confidence in addressing local issues
• become more resourceful and resilient
• are economically stronger
• are healthier, more vibrant and inclusive, with improved wellbeing
• are supported to develop strategies to protect and regenerate their natural environment
These are our benchmark for success and enable us to measure the impact of our work through our
• Collaboration and inclusion
• Good communication
• Initiative and resourcefulness
Specific Policy Areas
1. Sustainability Projects with Community – The Community Council of Devon will actively
support and champion on environmental projects.
2. DCT sustainability wider influence - The Community Council of Devon will actively support
local communities to become more sustainable through their infrastructure and celebrate
good practice where it exists.
3. DCT Travel - The Community Council of Devon recognises that the nature of our work with
rural communities in a large county with a poor public transport infrastructure inevitably
requires a certain level of car use. However, we will seek to minimise the dual impact of fuel
consumption and exhaust emissions by adopting measures to promote responsible transport
use by staff and volunteers.
4. DCT office - The Community Council of Devon will actively seek to minimise use of energy and
waste across our operations. We will achieve this by training and raising awareness amongst staff
of energy efficiency, through use of energy efficient products, technologies and recycling.