- £53.89*: Members of Devon Communities Together and Citizens Advice staff/volunteers
- £75.21: Charities, Community Groups or Parish and Town Councils that are not members of Devon Community Together
- £101.86: Private Sector organisations and Statutory Local Authorities
*The heavily discounted membership price on many of our training courses is one of a number of benefits provided to members of Devon Communities Together and is available to new and existing members. With annual membership starting from just £24 for individuals and small organisations, up to £50 for larger organisations, taking out a membership can be a great way to save money on your training needs. To find out more and join DCT today, call 01392 248919 or visit our membership page.
Media coverage of Universal Credit often concentrates on the Government’s intention to ‘make work pay.’ But what happens if you have an illness or disability that affects your ability to work? Around 40% of people claiming benefits for sickness are found fit for work, but about 65% of people who challenge decisions are successful. It’s often people with mental health problems who find it hardest to prove their case, whose condition deteriorates as they try to do this. Come and find out how the system has changed for people with an illness or disability so that you can help understand how UC will affect them.
This course is for organisations who support people with an illness or disability who are of working age who want to be able to maximise their income.
The course will cover:
- an overview of benefits for people who are too ill to work;
- basic conditions of UC as they relate to people whose health conditions or disabilities limit their ability to work;
- the Work Capability Assessment;
- how to challenge decisions.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMMISSION THIS AS AN IN-HOUSE COURSE TAILORED TO YOUR ORGANISATIONAL NEEDS PLEASE CONTACT INFO@DEVONCOMMUNITIES.ORG.UK
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The course will give participants the knowledge and confidence to:
- identify who is entitled to which benefits on the grounds of limited capability for work
- assist people who are too ill to work to claim benefits, particularly UC
- help people challenge the decision if their claim is turned down or their benefit is reduced.
ABOUT YOUR TUTOR
Vincent has worked for the Citizens Advice service in Devon since 1985. As an experienced trainer, he has provided benefits training for many years to voluntary and statutory sector staff, covering all aspects of the benefits system from introductory courses to Tribunal Representation. He has been a benefits caseworker throughout his working life, having taken cases up to the Upper Tribunal level. He continues to work as a benefits caseworker, providing advice and assistance to families with children with disabilities and to young people with disabilities. He also provides benefits advice as part of the Devon Advice Service for Working Age Carers and is the Chief Officer at Citizens Advice Teignbridge.
Please let Support Services know if there is anything that would affect your learning and if there is anything we can do to enable you to fully participate in our courses and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Call Support Services on 01392 248919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would prefer to pay for your course via an invoice instead of booking online, please contact email@example.com or call 01392 248919. If you wish to receive a receipt of payment, please let us know.